THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Scott Pilgrim


It seems like veganism is starting to pop up everywhere in the media. Usually it's referred to mockingly, and I have to admit the fact that there aren't any cool vegan images in the media is what first made me wary when I saw Scott Pilgrim. Spoiler alert, if you haven't seen the movie don't blame me if you continue reading this and I reveal anything that you would otherwise prefer to learn on your own about the film. You are warned. Speaking of warnings, despite seeing the film with several people who had already seen it, I didn't get any warning for all the "vegan content." That is if you don't count my friend leaning over and saying "You're really going to like this part. . . . or not" which I don't. But I don't like spoilers so I'm glad no one spilled the beans about the vegan "evil ex" in the film. While I admittedly cackled at the vegan jokes, initially I was concerned about the portrayal of vegans. Like I said earlier, there aren't many positive portrayals and this was no exception. But I couldn't deny how hilarious the character was, granted I think I may have been the only one laughing in the theater at this point in the film. Yes, Todd "the vegan" is stupid and of course in the end thwarted by his own arrogance but he has SUPER POWERS, that is vegan super powers. Because in Scott Pilgrim's world abstaining from dairy, meat, and other animal products apparently grants you super powers, but you have to go to "vegan academy" and live in fear of the "vegan police" taking said powers away if you aren't vegan enough. I couldn't honestly take offense to this character, his stupidity and pretentiousness is over the top, but all of the characters are in this movie. Just like you shouldn't get your panties in a bunch when South Park makes fun of a specific religion or ideals because its not like South Park singles anyone out, everyone is put on the chopping block. So I couldn't help but think the whole vegan portrayal endlessly entertaining, as well as the rest of the movie for that matter. If you haven't seen it, I ruined some parts for you but you should still see it, its a riot all the way through. With that I'll leave you with a quote from the movie, "MILK AND EGGS BITCH!"


0 comments: